How Do I Install a Facebook App on the Nook?
The Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook runs a modified version of the Google Android operating system, which means it’s compatible with a number of downloadable Android apps. Take advantage of the native Nook Shop app on your Nook to download and install an Android Facebook app on the device.
Connect to a Wi-Fi network. If you’ve never done this before, open the Settings app, tap the “Connections” tab and toggle the “Wi-Fi” switch to the On position. Tap the name of the network to which you want to connect and enter the password, if prompted.
Tap the “Nook Shop” app on the Nook’s Home screen to open the Nook Shop app. Depending on how your Nook is set up, you may need to open the Library widget in order to find the Nook Shop app.
Tap "Apps" to load the Nook Shop's main Apps screen.
Browse or search for the Facebook app you want to install. The official Facebook app for Android devices is simply called Facebook. Others apps also enable you to access the Facebook platform, so take a moment to read about a few options in order to find the one that best suits your needs.
Tap the app you want to install to view its Details page.
Tap the app’s price to purchase it or, if the app is free, tap “Free” to download it.
Tap “Confirm” to initiate the automated download and installation process. If the app costs money, proceed through the payment process to pay for the app.
Tips & Warnings
- You can install Facebook apps from the Google Play or Nook Shop store on some other Nook models as well, including the Nook HD+. However, some of the more basic Nook models -- including the Color and Touch -- don't run full versions of the Android operating system, which means you need to modify the devices before you can install Android apps on them. This process often requires you to root the Nook, which voids its warranty in some regions, so proceed with caution.
- When the download and installation process is complete, the new app appears in the Apps section of the Nook Library widget, which is accessible from the Home screen.
- Some application developers let you download a free trial of an app before purchasing it. If the Details page for the Facebook app you select has a Free Trial button, tap it to download the trial. The Details page gives a description of the restrictions and time limits placed on the trial version of the app.
- Occasionally an app may appear to have downloaded when it actually did not. To see if an app downloaded correctly, open the Nook Library widget, select the Apps section and look for the app. If an arrow displays along with the icon of the app you thought you downloaded, tap the arrow to download and install the app now.
- If you download a Facebook app and are unhappy with its performance for any reason, delete it from your Nook to save space. Open the Library widget and press and hold the app’s icon until a pop-up menu appears. Tap “Remove From Device” to delete the app from the Nook. Tap “Delete From Account” to remove it from the Nook and from your Barnes & Noble account as well.