How Do You Transfer Your Bookmarks From One PC to Another on Chrome?
How to transfer Google Chrome bookmarks from one PC to another. This can be accomplished via automated syncing or manual export/import.
Making the move to a new PC? You'll no doubt want to bring your Web browser's bookmarks with you. You don't have to manually export them from the old machine and then import them to the new one. For Google Chrome users, there's a much easier option.
Chrome offers the ability to sync bookmarks (and other browser stuff, including extensions and passwords) to your Google or Gmail account. In fact, chances are pretty good you set up syncing when you first installed the browser, so this might turn out to be the easiest aspect of migrating to your new machine.
Syncing bookmarks between two PCs
- Enable syncing on your current PC (if you haven't already).
- Install Chrome on your new PC.
- Enable syncing on your new PC.
That's literally all there is to it. In fact, once you complete that third step, your bookmarks will appear like magic on the new computer.
To enable syncing in Chrome, click the Menu icon in the upper-right corner of the browser (it's represented by three stacked lines), then click Settings.
Under the Sign in heading, you should see signed in as [your Gmail/Google address**]. If not, click Sign in to Chrome and supply your Gmail/Google address and password. Once you're signed in, click Advanced Sync Settings and make sure the Bookmarks option is checked, then click OK** to finish.
If you have privacy concerns and don't want your bookmarks floating around the Cloud, there's still the manual export/import option. But if you've already used the synchronization method described above, stop: You're done.
Exporting your bookmarks
- Press Ctrl-Shift-O to open Chrome's Bookmarks Manager.
- Click the Organize menu, and then choose Export bookmarks to HTML file...
- Choose where you want to save the file. For simplicity's sake, you might save it to the Windows desktop, which will make it easier to find and move.
Importing your bookmarks
- In the upper-right corner of the browser, click the Chrome Menu icon.
- Click Import Bookmarks and Settings.
- In the From drop-down menu, choose Bookmarks HTML file.
- Click Choose File.
- Find the HTML file you saved previously, then click Done.
Now you should have all your original bookmarks in your new Chrome installation.