How to Access a Toshiba Restore Partition
Toshiba helps customers have as minimal computer downtime as possible by including a restore partition on the hard drive. These restore tools are provided by Microsoft, the developers of the Windows operating system, and they are called the "Windows Recovery Environment." The restore or recovery options include repairs to Windows starting improperly, memory diagnostics and a complete operating system restoration. Although the restore partition is intentionally set apart from the main Windows operating system partition, it is nonetheless very accessible on the computer.
Click on the Windows orb logo on the taskbar to show the Start menu, then press the "lock" icon to show the logoff/shutdown menu. Select "Restart" from the menu. If the PC is already powered down, press the power button to turn it on.
Press the "F8" key on the keyboard immediately after the PC powers back on to enter the Windows "Advanced Boot Options" menu screen. If you miss this menu, then restart and try again.
Press the up or down arrow key on the keyboard to navigate the menu, then select "Repair Your Computer," which highlights that option. Press the "Enter" key on the keyboard, which will advance to a preferences screen.
Click the down arrow to show menu choices in the language and keyboard sections and choose an option for each. Click the "Next" button to advance to the log in page.
Click with the cursor or press the arrow key on the keyboard to select the username that you wish to use to log in. Type in the password, then click the "OK" button to advance to the "System Recovery Options" menu.
Click on the "Toshiba Recovery Wizard" if you wish to restore the Windows operating system and applications to the point when the computer was first purchased and used.
Tips & Warnings
- If you have concerns or problems with a single hardware or software component and not the entire operating system, consider checking Toshiba's support web page (see Resources) for an update that might focus on that problem.
- Choosing the "Toshiba Recovery Wizard" will erase all native Windows and third-party programs and user-created data on the hard drive.
References & Resources
- Toshiba: How to Launch the Windows Recovery Environment
- Microsoft: What Are the System Recovery Options in Windows Vista?
- Microsoft: What are Partitions and Logical Drives?
- Microsoft: Advanced Startup Options (Including Safe Mode)
- Toshiba: How to Access the Recovery Tool (PDF document)
- Toshiba: Support Home Page