How to Block Chats From People You Don't Know on Skype
One of the great features of Skype is the ability to control who can and cannot contact you. With just a few easy steps you can decline a chat or telephone call from a stranger.
Things You'll Need
- Computer with Internet access
- Skype account
Decline Chats From Strangers
Open Skype by clicking Start, Programs then Skype (for WIndows users), or click Applications, then Skype (for Mac users).
Log into your Skype account by entering your user name and password in the correct data field and clicking Sign In.
Use Skype as normal.
When someone tries to contact you via chat or telephone a pop-up menu will appear.
Click "Decline" if you do not want to chat with them.
Block a Skype User
View your Contacts tab, found at the far left in the center section of your Skype window.
Find the contact you wish to block. Your contacts should be sorted alphabetically by default. If they aren't, click View from the horizontal menu, then click Sort Contacts by Name.
Right click on the contact you would like to block.
Click "Block this User" from the menu that appears.
Choose whether you'd like to remove this person from your Contacts list or not by checking or unchecking that option box. If you retain the user on your Contacts list their name will be labeled with a crossed-out circle to indicate they are blocked.
Prevent Strangers From Contacting You
Click View from the horizontal menu along the top of the Skype application window. Make sure View Statusbar is checked. If it isn't, click it now.
Find your status bar, located along the bottom of your Skype window.
Click the downward facing arrow to view your options.
Remove yourself from Skype Me mode if you would like to prevent non-contacts from contacting you (either by calling or chatting).
Choosing "Away" or "Not Available" allows others to send chat requests or calls to you. The contact attempts will be held in a queue until you change your status.
Choose "Do Not Disturb" to send an instant reply to anyone that attempts to contact you that you do not want to be disturbed at that time.
Tips & Warnings
- If you accidentally accept an invitation to chat with someone you don't want to chat with in the future, you can permanently block the user from contacting you. See below for details.
- When you block a user they are not informed that you have done so. The blocked user will retain your user name in their contact list but they will always see you as being offline. The blocked user will not be able to start a chat with you and file transfers they initiate will not reach you.
- To unblock a user right click their name (if you've left it in your Contacts list) and choose Unblock User from the menu. Alternatively click on Contacts, then Advanced, then Manage Blocked Users. Select the name from the list of blocked users then click the Unblock User button.
- Skype allows you to make changes to how you appear to other users when you are online. For example you can appear offline or send a message to others that you are online but do not want to be disturbed. See below for details.