How to Block Phone Numbers on an iPhone in Canada
The ability to block phone numbers in North America is managed by the cell phone company that provides your service. In Canada, that means either Bell, Rogers, Telus or Wind Mobile. iPhones are not available through Wind Mobile as of 2010. Blocking unwanted callers is easy if you happen to be with Rogers or Bell, as both offer the service free of charge. If you're with Telus, unfortunately your only option is to download and pay for the iBlacklist application as they do not offer any kind of call-blocking or anti-spam service.
Things You'll Need
- iPhone (jailbroken optional)
- Internet access
Sign in to your Rogers account online and go to the "Privacy" tab.
Select "Configure" for the "Block Unwanted Callers" options. Select "Yes" for the option "All Callers on my unwanted callers list will receive a busy signal." Click "Next" and then "Confirm" to save the changes.
Click "Manage my unwanted callers" and enter the number you wish to block in the box provided. Click "Add" and then "Save changes."
Text the message "Block on" to 2767 to activate number blocking.
Text "Block num" followed by the number you wish to block to 2767.
Text "Block status" to 2767 to check if blocking is turned on or off, "Unblock num [number]" to unblock a number, and "Help" to receive simple help regarding the service.
Go to iClarified and follow the instructions there to add the iClarified installer to your iPhone (see Resources). Your iPhone must be jailbroken to do this.
Open the installer application, select "iClarified" and then select "iBlacklist." Press the "Install" button at the top right of the screen, then press the red "Install" button that appears.
Restart your iPhone once iBlacklist is installed. Launch iBlacklist using the icon on the iPhone screen, enter "1" for the password and press "Confirm Access."
Slide the "Enabled" switch to on, then select "Blacklist." Press the "Add" button at the top right of the screen. You can add numbers manually, or by using the contacts list.
Tips & Warnings
- On Rogers you can also choose to block all private or restricted numbers by selecting "Yes" for "All private callers will receive a busy signal" when configuring your unwanted callers list settings.
- The free version of iBlacklist only allows you to block two numbers. You can register your application and pay a small fee to be able to block unlimited numbers.
- Visit iClarified for an in-depth tutorial on managing other iBlacklist settings (see Resources).
- iBlacklist is not an approved Apple application, so they will not provide support for it if you have problems.