How to Convert Nook E-books to Kindle
You can easily convert a DRM-free Nook e-pub file to a MOBI document to read on a Kindle using Calibre software. The program is free and easy to use. For publication, upload the e-pub file directly to Kindle Digital Publishing service. Amazon's KDP program will automatically convert the e-pub to MOBI for the Kindle store distribution; however, to edit the file, use the free e-book editing program Sigil.
Things You'll Need
- Calibre program
- Sigil program, optional
Download and install Calibre software. A download is available for Windows, OS X, Linux and portable devices.
Open Calibre. Click the red book icon link in the menu to add the DRM-free e-pub book to your Calibre library.
Select the e-pub book in your list, and choose the "Convert Books" icon link in the menu.
Select the "Metadata" icon from the left menu.
Select "MOBI" from the "Output format" drop-down menu, which is located in the upper right of the conversion window. Click "OK."
Plug the Kindle into the computer and either select the icon link "Transfer to device" in Calibre, which transfers the file automatically, or add the document manually. Select "Click to open" to find the MOBI conversion and upload to the Documents folder on the Kindle using drag and drop.
Editing and Publishing
Download and install Sigil software. The download links are located in the left menu and are available for Windows, Mac and Linux.
Open Sigil and click the "Open Icon" link in the menu bar or use the shortcut "Command" and "O" keys for the Mac or "Ctrl" and "O" for the PC.
Browse to the e-pub book's location. Click "Open."
Modify the e-pub file, and click "Save As" to rename your Kindle publication.
Upload to Amazon using the KDP service or convert the edited file using Calibre.
Tips & Warnings
- Validate your e-pub code using ThreePress.org epubcheck tool. Validation ensures the e-pub code is correct. It also ensures an approved upload to Apple iBookstore.
- Upload your validated e-pub file directly to Kindle Digital Publishing. It is one of the formats KDP accepts and the system automatically converts the e-pub to a MOBI file.
- Always preview your Kindle file before final publication.
- Hold the "Shift" button to select more than one book.
- Use Kindle for the Mac or Kindle for the PC to read the e-book on your computer.
- Never hack a DRM-protected file. It is illegal and punishable by law.
- Never take DRM-free e-pub files and publish them as your own work. It is illegal and punishable by law.
- Using Calibre for Kindle publication works, but it may produce varied results.