How to Convert Pub Files to PDF Using Freeware
The PUB file extension is the native file format for Microsoft Publisher documents. Publisher is a comprehensive page layout program that can be used to create documents such as web pages, brochures and flyers. It’s often helpful to convert a finished Publisher document into a PDF when you want to print or share the file with others. Many people don’t have Publisher installed on their computer and would not be able to view a PUB file. However, if you convert the layout to PDF, they can easily view the formatted document using a free PDF viewer, such as Adobe Reader. There are various freeware or online conversion programs that will allow you to quickly convert a document from PUB to PDF.
The PDF Online website features Doc2PDF Online, a free online conversion to create PDFs from various file formats. This is a web-based tool, so you don’t need to download any software. Click “Browse” to select a PUB file from your computer. Enter a file name for the output PDF document. Enter your email address, to which the converted PDF file will be sent. Click “Convert to PDF.”
Download and install PrimoPDF, a freeware program that will convert Publisher files, as well as other types of documents, to PDF. Open PrimoPDF by double-clicking the desktop icon. On the first screen, click an icon at the top to determine the type of PDF you will need. To create a file for viewing on-screen, click “Screen.” Click “Save Settings.” Open a folder on your computer that contains a PUB file. Click and drag the file to the PrimoPDF icon. The program automatically converts your Publisher document to a PDF, saves it in the same folder and opens it in your default PDF reader.
Log on to the Neevia Technology PDF conversion website to convert many different document formats to PDF for free. Under “Conversion Settings,” select “PDF” from the “Output” menu. Choose the version of Acrobat for which you want the PDF to be compatible in the “Compatibility” menu. Click the “Browse” button to select a Microsoft Publisher file from your computer. Select the delivery format you prefer for the converted PDF. Enter your email address and click “Upload & Convert.”
Tips & Warnings
- If you own Microsoft Publisher 2007 or 2010, you don’t even need conversion freeware to convert a PUB document to PDF. Publisher has a built-in PDF creator. In Publisher 2010, open the file you want to convert and click the “File” tab. Click “Save as,” then enter a file name and choose a destination folder for the document. Click “PDF” in the “Save as Type” list. Click “Save.” In Publisher 2007, click the “Microsoft Office Button,” scroll to “Save as” and choose “PDF or XPS” to save the file.
References & Resources
- Microsoft Office: Save as PDF or XPS
- Microsoft Office: Save a publication as as PDF file or an XPS file
- PDF Online: Doc2PDF Online Conversion Options
- PrimoPDF: Create PDF Files Free
- Neevia Technology: File Formats
- PDF Online: Doc2PDF Online
- Docudesk: Download DeskPDF Professional
- PrimoPDF: Download
- Neevia Technology: Document Converter