How to Create Your Own Personal Blog
A personal blog can be a useful medium of self-expression, in which you can share your thoughts, creative endeavors and useful content with your readers. If you would like to create your own blog, you can choose from many kinds of blog platforms, blog software and free blog websites to create and customize your blog. You can use a free, hosted blog solution, or you can purchase your own domain name and Web hosting onto which you can publish your blog.
Things You'll Need
- Email address
- Google account (optional)
Create a free Blogger account. Blogger is Google's free blog platform. Visit blogger.com and sign in with your Google account in the form on the right side of the page. If you don't already have a Google account, click the small orange "Get Started" button on the left column and fill out the form to create one. Once the page has redirected to the Blogger dashboard, click the "Create a Blog" link in the upper right corner of the main column. Type a name for your blog, then select the blog's username. The blog's URL will be yourusername.blogspot.com once you've completed registering it. Enter the CAPTCHA code and click the orange "Continue" arrow in the lower right corner. Select any theme, which you can change later via the "Design" dashboard in your blog settings, then click "Continue" again to finish registering your blog. Click the "Start Blogging" arrow to start adding content and customizing your free blog.
Create a blog with WordPress, the popular open-source blog software. If you would like free hosting for your blog, register for a free account at WordPress.com. Click the "Get Started Here" button on the left, then enter blog URL you would like, your WordPress.com username, your email and your desired password. Click the "Blog" tab in the horizontal menu in the upper left corner, then click "Dashboard" in the drop-down menu to begin customizing and adding content to your blog. You can also host WordPress on your own domain name and Web hosting account, by manually installing the software via phpMyAdmin or by using a one-click installation program in your hosting control panel, such as Fantastico.
Register for a free Tumblr blog by visiting tumblr.com and entering your email address, password and desired username on the form in the middle of the page, then clicking the green "Start Posting" button to the right of the form. Tumblr walks you through selecting a theme and layout for your new blog, as well as providing a tutorial for how to begin posting. Tumblr is a social blogging platform, so you can follow the blogs of your contacts by clicking "Add and Remove" in the right column of your dashboard, then clicking the "People You Know" tab and entering your email information to search your contacts.
Tips & Warnings
- Other free blog sites include LiveJournal.com, Posterous.com and DailyBooth.com, the latter of which is a free photo-blogging platform.
- If you have your own domain name and Web hosting with Fantastico in your cPanel, you can also use other free blogging platforms such as MovableType, TypePad, Drupal and other software your Web host chooses to include in your account's control panel.
- You can use your own domain name with WordPress, Tumblr and Blogger instead of using the vanity URLs provided by the platforms. Refer to each platform's documentation for instructions on how to forward or park your domain name to your blog. Depending on the platform, this process may require additional fees.
- While Blogger and Tumblr allow for-profit organizations and businesses to use their services, WordPress.com restricts usage of its hosted service to personal blogs only. If you would like to advertise or use your personal blog for any commercial purposes, you must use the self-hosted version of the software.
References & Resources
- Blogger Help: About Blogger
- Blogger Help: How Do I Use the Blogger Layouts Feature?
- BlogBasics; Tutorial: Installing WordPress Using Fantastico; Paul Odtaa; Feburary 2011
- WordPress.org Codex: Getting Started With WordPress
- WordPress.com Support: Getting Started
- Blogger Help: How Do I Create a Blogger Account?
- WordPress.com Support: Advertising
- GoDaddy Help Center: Forwarding or Masking Your Domain Name
- Tumblr Help Center
- WordPress.org Codex
- Blogger Terms of Service
- Join LiveJournal