How to Create Your Own Phone Charger

By Tatyanna DeLoatch

A phone charger creates energy and transfers it to a rechargeable battery; it does this by forcing an electric current through it. Mobile phone chargers differ from regular phone chargers because they are really adapters that serve as a source of power. In this day and age, people use mobile phones during the majority of the day, and therefore it is important to recharge your mobile device frequently.

Things You'll Need

  • Mobile phone
  • AA batteries
  • Four-battery tray
  • Metal paper clip
  • Two alligator clips
  • Soldering iron

Step 1

Remove the battery from your mobile phone and check the voltage. The voltage of your phone's battery determines how many AA batteries to use. You want to use enough AA batteries to slightly exceed the voltage of your phone. For example, a AA battery is 1.5 volts, so if your phone is 4 volts, you need to use three AA batteries.

Step 2

Place the AA batteries into the battery tray. If you need less than four batteries (depending on the voltage of your battery), unfold and place a metal paper clip into the space where the fourth battery would go. Hook one end into the metal spring on the negative end of the empty space, and the other end into the positive end. The purpose of the clip is to serve as the switch to turn the charger on and off. Removing one end of the paper clip turns the power off.

Step 3

Take a red alligator clip and solder it to the red wire; do the same with a black alligator clip, but solder it to a black wire. Look at your mobile phone's battery; you see a few small metal contacts that are used to generate electricity. Hook the red alligator clamp to one side of your mobile battery, ensuring that both metal jaws are in contact with the positive contact. Hook the black clamp to the other side of the battery and put it in contact with the positive contact.

Step 4

Look at your phone to verify that your phone is charging.

Tips & Warnings

  • Keep an eye on your device because it is possible that overheating may occur. If overheating occurs, immediately unplug the device.