How to Delete My Facebook Account If the Email Address No Longer Exists
The owner of a Facebook account can delete that account at any time, but to do so he must be logged into the system. When the main email address linked to a Facebook profile is no longer in use, the account holder can still access the account -- as long as he is able to provide the password. If the primary email address on the account is inaccessible and the Facebook password is forgotten, there are two other methods by which the user may recover access and deactivate the account.
Log into the Facebook account on the main page of the Facebook website. Enter the invalid email address in the account email field, type in the password and click "Login."
Click "Forgot Your Password" if you do not recall the Facebook password. Fill out the captcha form and click "Submit," then select "No Longer Have Access to This Email." Enter a new email address into the field provided and click "Submit."
Click the "Enter Security Code" link in the verification email sent to the new address, then enter your Facebook security code and click "Submit."
Click the "Recover Your Account Through Friends" link in the verification email if you do not recall your security code. Enter the names of three Facebook friends whom you know personally and are able to contact by phone. Facebook will send each friend a code which you must call them to obtain.
Click the link in the follow-up email from Facebook to enter the verification codes provided by your Facebook friends.
Wait 24 hours before logging into the Facebook account. As a security precaution, account access is suspended for 24 hours after the account in question is recovered through the use of Facebook friends or security code verification. After 24 hours, reset the password by clicking "Forgot Your Password" on the main page and selecting that the reset link be sent to the new email address.
Click "Account" once logged into Facebook, then select "Account Settings" from the drop-down menu.
Choose "Deactivate Account" from the menu options.
Indicate the reason for which you are leaving Facebook and select "Opt Out of Receiving Future Emails from Facebook" if desired.
Click "Confirm." The Facebook profile, user posts and all information associated with the account will be immediately removed from the Facebook website.
Submit a request for permanent deletion if you want all of your account information removed from Facebook servers. To submit a request, click the "Help" link at the bottom of any Facebook page and type "Permanent Deletion" into the search field. Click the link labeled "Submit Your Request Here" under the heading of "How Do I Permanently Delete My Account."
Tips & Warnings
- Permanent account deletion is not a necessary step if the goal is to simply remove the profile from the Facebook website. If you choose to permanently delete an account, it will no longer be retrievable and all associated data will be lost forever.
- Account deletion requests do not process immediately, in order to give the account holder a window of time in which to change her mind. If a user logs into her account after submitting a deletion request, the request will be cancelled.
References & Resources
- Facebook Help Center: Invalid or Expired Login Email Address
- Facebook Help Center: Forgotten Password
- Facebook Help Center: Recovering Account With Security Question
- Facebook Help Center: Recover Account Through Friends
- Facebook Help Center: Deactivating and Deleting Accounts
- Facebook Help Center: Pending Deletion Request
- Facebook: Permanently Delete Account