How to Fix a Wet Cell Phone Battery
Cellphones are designed to be portable devices. As with anything you carry around frequently, phones are bound to get damaged. In all likelihood, during your phone's lifetime, you will spill liquid on it. Unless you follow these easy steps after your phone's battery gets wet, it could be damaged permanently.
Things You'll Need
- Paper towels
- Cotton swabs
- Dry rice
- Empty container of any size
Immediately power off the phone and remove the battery after it gets wet. This will prevent additional water from seeping into the battery and damaging the circuit boards, which are critical to the battery functioning. The amount of time it takes you to do this step is crucial; the longer the circuits are submerged, the higher the likelihood they will be damaged.
Begin blotting the battery with a dry paper towel. By doing so, you will remove a majority of the water from the surface of the battery. While paper towels can dry most of it, they cannot get into hard-to-reach places on the battery, such as the connectors. Gently brush these areas using cotton swabs. They are compact and have a high absorbency.
Pour a liberal amount of dry rice into a container and place the battery in it. Be sure there is enough rice to cover the battery and let it sit overnight. The rice will absorb any additional moisture inside the battery. The following morning, remove the battery from the rice.
Put the battery back into the cellphone and power it up. You will know whether you have sucessfully saved the battery if the phone powers on and functions properly.
Tips & Warnings
- Do not attempt to power the phone on until everything is completely dry. If you do, you could damage both the battery and the phone.
- It is possible that your battery will no longer function properly even after performing these steps.