How to flash (update the software on) your Moto RAZR, SLVR, KRZR, etc.
This guide will show you step-by-step how to flash (update the software on) your Motorola cell phone, right from home. You can flash software, flexes, fonts, language packs, DRMs (icons), etc.!
Things You'll Need
- Windows PC
- USB cable (that fits your phone)
- RSD Lite (can be found via google.com)
- P2k drivers (can be downloaded here: http://www.motomodding.com/vault/software/drivers/ultimatedriverpack.rar)
- Software file that is for your phone (SOFTWARE IS SPECIFIC TO PHONE, IF YOU FLASH YOUR PHONE WITH SOFTWARE THAT IS NOT MEANT FOR YOUR PHONE, YOU RISK BRICKING IT!) This can be found at www.ModMyMoto.
We first need to find out what kind of software we need to flash our Moto with. Press *#9999# on your phone. "Other Information" screen will automatically come up. Look under "S/W version" and look at the first section. ANY SOFTWARE THAT YOU FLASH YOUR PHONE WITH MUST MATCH THE FIRST SECTION OF THE SOFTWARE VERSION THAT IS CURRENTLY ON YOUR PHONE, OR YOU RISK BRICKING YOUR PHONE! (In the sample image, the first part of the S/W version is R47A. This means that I can only flash R47A files to my phone.
Now, download a software file that corresponds with your phone's current S/W version from here www.ModMyMoto.com/downloads. The file format will be .RAR. Unzip the .RAR file and you will get a .shx or .sbf file from it.
Now, install the diver pack, turn on your phone, and connect it via USB to your computer.
Open RSD Lite. Your phone should be recognized like in the picture. (Your IMEI/ESN/MEID will be displayed, however, it was removed from my picture for security reasons.)
Now, locate the .shx or .sbf file that you have downloaded and unzipped by clicking the "..." button in RSD Lite and click "open".
***AFTER CONTINUING WITH THIS STEP, SOME OF THE DATA ON YOUR PHONE MAY BE LOST, DEPENDING ON THE TYPE OF FILE YOU ARE FLASHING. SEE "WARNINGS" FOR DETAILS*** Now click the "START" or "GO" button. ***THIS WILL TAKE SEVERAL MINUTES TO COMPLETE!!!DO NOT UNPLUG YOUR PHONE DURING THE PROCESS OR YOU RISK DAMAGING IT***
Now, pay attention to the "Progress" and "Result" column. Progress will show you how far into the flash it is into and Result will say "In Progress" until it is finished. Then it will either say "PASS" or "FAIL" at the end.
If the flash completed successfully, and there is a "PASS" message on the screen, it is now safe to unplug your phone. If you get a "FAIL" message, visit www.ModMyMoto.com, a great Motorola Modding resource.
Tips & Warnings
- This method may work on other Motorola phones.
- You will need winRAR or equivalent to unzip the downloaded files.
- If you can't get RSD lite to connect to your phone, it is almost always a driver problem. Open up Device Manager and make sure there are no unrecognized devices and try reinstalling the drivers.
- "Monster Pack", or "MP" erases everything on your phone and when flashed, your phone will be like new right from the factory. "Flex", or "Flexlash" erases everything from your phone and it will be like new right from the factory, but it will not affect your software version. "Reflash" only affects software and will not change your settings or delete any files. "DRM" only changes icons and won't erase anything. "Font" will change the font and language. "Language Pack", or "LP" will change your language and font.
- If you need any assistance or have any questions, visit www.ModMyMoto.com.
- I WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY BRICKED PHONES! FLASH/UPDATE YOUR PHONE AT YOUR OWN RISK!