How to Get Rid of Pop Ups & Advertisements
There is nothing more annoying than all the pop-ups and advertisements that appear everywhere on the Internet. Many websites generate most, if not all their revenue from selling advertisements on their pages, which means pop-ups and other types of advertisements aren't going away anytime soon. The three most popular Web browsers all have pop-up blocking capabilities. Safari 4 and Internet Explorer 8 both have built-in pop-up blockers. Mozilla Firefox also has a built-in pop-up blocker that works very well, and an add-on called "Adblock Plus" that will hide the banner ads on a website.
Things You'll Need
- Mozilla Firefox
- Adblock Plus
- Internet Explorer 8
Download and install the latest version of Mozilla Firefox. (See "Resources" for download link.)
Launch Firefox and go to the Adblock Plus download page. (See "Resources" for link.) Click the "Add to Firefox" button, and then click "Install Now."
Restart Firefox after the installation has finished by clicking the "Restart Firefox" button that appears in the "Add-ons" dialog box. Adblock plus will automatically be enabled.
Internet Explorer 8
Download IE8 from the Microsoft website. (See "Resources" for download link.)
Open Internet Explorer.
Click on the "Tools" menu and select "Pop-up Blocker."
Click "Turn On Pop-up Blocker" and click "OK."
Download and install Safari 4. (See "Resources" for download link.)
Open the Safari Web browser.
Click on the "Safari" menu and click "Block Pop-up Windows."
Tips & Warnings
- If you are visiting a website and you see an ad that is not being blocked, right-click on the ad and select "Adblock this Image."
- To disable Adblock Plus, click on the "Tools" menu then click on "Add-ons." Locate Adblock Plus in the list and click the "Disable" button. Follow the same steps to re-enable it.
- Firefox will notify you each time it blocks a pop-up. If for some reason you need to view a pop-up that is being blocked, simply click on the "Allow" button in the upper-right corner of the window.
References & Resources
- Mozilla: Firefox Web Browser and Thunderbird Email Client
- Adblock Plus: Save Your Time and Traffic
- Microsoft: Internet Explorer Pop-up Blocker Frequently Asked Questions
- Mozilla: Upgrade to the Latest Version of Firefox
- Mozilla: Adblock Plus 1.2
- Microsoft: Internet Explorer 8 Home Page
- Apple: Download Safari 4