How to Get Water out of a Touch Screen
Many people find that at one time or another, an electronic device becomes wet. Whether it's because of a spilled glass, a rain puddle or pool water, water does serious damage to devices such as touch screen phones and tablets. Water damage also voids many product warranties. Use these techniques to minimize or eliminate the damage done by water. If you learn such tips and act swiftly, you may be able to save your touch screen from serious damage.
Things You'll Need
- Bowl of rice
- Optional silica gel packets
Turn off the device immediately. This vital step prevents the electronics from shorting because of the water, as it cuts off the electricity to the important parts of the component's interior. The longer the device is left on after exposure to water, the greater the chance of water ruining the circuit systems inside the device, which cannot be recovered.
Remove the battery and any other removable parts. The object here is to create as many venues for the water to leave the device. Sometimes this may mean just the battery, which is often sufficient. If the touch screen device has a flip feature, open it as much as possible.
Dry the outside of the device completely. Use a paper towel or cloth to pat down the device with care, so as not to increase the amount of water entering the innards of the touch screen. This prevents water from entering through seams or crevices in the device susceptible to water seepage.
Place the device in a bowl of rice or silica gel packets. Cover it completely in the rice or silica, both of which are highly effective at absorbing excess moisture. Leave the device completely submerged in the bowl for at least 72 hours for maximum absorption.
Remove the device and replace the battery. Once you have left the device for as long as possible in the bowl, it's important to test out the device again. Attempt to turn on the device. If it does not power up, it is likely broken beyond simple repair.
Tips & Warnings
- If your device was soaked in salt water, you must fully rinse the device in fresh water before beginning this drying process.
- Do not put your device in a microwave or use a hair dryer to dry it out. Both are likely to destroy it.