How to Instantly Clean a Dirty Skipping DVD in 3 Easy Steps
Your DVD might be dirty if it is skipping while you are trying to watch the movie. This is a common problem with rental DVDs that are fingered by many different hands. You can quickly clean the grime and fingerprints off of the DVD and, hopefully, stop the skipping so you can enjoy the movie.
Things You'll Need
- Soft, lint-free microfiber cloth
- Filtered water
Moisten one part of your lint-free, microfiber cloth with a tiny bit of the filtered water. Do not saturate your cloth; you only want it damp. Do not use tap water as it contains chemicals and minerals that can harm your DVD's playing surface.
Clean the DVD by gently running the moist part of the microfiber cloth from the center of the DVD out to the edge. Do not rub in a circular motion around the disc; make straight lines from the center to the edge. Repeat this motion all the way around the DVD until you have cleaned the entire disc.
Wipe the DVD dry using the dry part of the microfiber cloth and the same motion described in Step 2.
Insert the DVD back into your DVD player and test it to see if it has stopped skipping.
Tips & Warnings
- This handy trick works for skipping CDs and minidiscs as well.
- If your DVD still skips after cleaning, it may be due to scratches on its playing surface. Unfortunately, nothing can be done about that save purchasing a new DVD.
- Using microfiber towels to clean the DVD is preferred.
- Do not use a rag or towel with a scratchy or oily surface; you don't want to scratch your DVD.