How to Remove Downloads From an iPhone
Keeping only necessary downloads on your iPhone will help prevent the operating system from running at less than optimal levels. With an expansive App Store only one click away, and email attachments routine, it is easy to let your iPhone be overrun with downloads that you can do without. Organizing content will make navigating the iPhone easier, but removing extraneous downloads will keep the iPhone running at peak performance. Fortunately, Apple has made the task of removing these nonessential downloads quite simple.
Things You'll Need
- Computer or syncing device (optional)
Removing Downloads as Email Attachments
Turn on the iPhone.
Select the "Mail" icon from the main screen.
Locate the specific email whose downloaded attachment you wish to remove.
Copy any information you wish to save from the email into a draft or note, as the email will be removed along with the attachment.
Return to the Inbox screen by pressing the "Inbox" back arrow in the top left corner of the email screen.
Swipe from right to left the email with attachment that you have chosen to remove. A red "Archive" box will appear on the right side of the selected email. "Archive" will remove the email and attachment from the iPhone, but will not delete the email from your actual email server/provider.
Confirm the removal of the selected email and downloaded attachment by pressing the red "Archive" box.
Removing Downloaded Apps
Turn on the iPhone.
Press and hold the selected app icon until you see all of the apps start to shake slightly. This shaking allows you to move apps to another position on your screen, or remove them entirely.
Select the "X" at the top left corner of the shaking app you wish to remove. A box will appear asking you to confirm the deletion.
Press the "Delete" button in the confirmation box. Depending on the app, there may be a request to rate the app. You may rate the app with a series of stars, or opt out.
Click the "Home" button at the bottom of your iPhone to stop the remaining apps from shaking, completing your removal of apps.
Tips & Warnings
- The shaking state for apps makes all apps movable, yet only allows downloaded apps to be removed, preventing any accidental deletion of integral apps.
- If the you remove the wrong app, you can download it again for free from the App Store.
- Removing downloaded attachments will "Archive" the email and all of its content, so copy any information you wish to keep on the iPhone onto a note or email draft for later use.
- Prevent the downloaded App from being reloaded by deleting it from your computer or syncing device before you sync your iPhone again.