How to Remove Yourself From GroupMe Texting
GroupMe, a group messaging app, enables you to create a virtual chat room of sorts where you and your friends can exchange texts. GroupMe assigns your group a unique phone number, and texts sent to that number get forwarded to all group members. While GroupMe texting is a great way to make plans with friends and keep in touch, the constant texts received in large groups can become annoying. GroupMe provides a few different ways you can remove yourself from the group texting.
Leave One Group Using an App Command
Open the GroupMe app, and then open the group that you would like to leave.
Tap the "Settings" button.
Scroll to the bottom of the settings options. Tap the option for "Leave This Group."
Leave All Groups Using a Web Command
Visit the official GroupMe website (see Resources). Log in to your GroupMe account.
Click the link for "Account Settings."
Select "Stop GroupMe Service" from the list of options.
Tips & Warnings
- You may also leave groups using text commands. Text "#EXIT" to any group number to leave that particular group.
- Text "#STOP" to any group number to quit receiving messages from all your GroupMe groups.
- If you are the group's creator, you cannot leave the group without deleting it. To delete your created group, text "#DELETE" to the group's number.
- If you would like to remain a group member, but stop receiving group messages, text "#MUTE" to the group's number. When you're ready to rejoin the conversation, text "#UNMUTE" to the group's number.
- If you're a group creator, you can remove a group member by texting "#REMOVE[space][member's name or phone number]".
- Texting "#HELP" will send a text to your phone that includes a list of basic GroupMe commands.
- If you experience any problems with the GroupMe app, make certain you are using the most recent version of the program. Logging out and logging back in or restarting your phone may also resolve certain issues. If problems persist, try uninstalling and reinstalling the app. Even uninstalling the app will not affect your groups.