How to Sell Used Furniture on Craigslist
Selling furniture online can be a dilemma since most pieces are too heavy to ship. Craigslist, with its free local listings, is a great solution for selling used furniture. Read on to learn how to sell furniture on Craigslist.
Go the craigslist.com website and choose your location.
Choose the 'post to classifieds' option.
Select 'for sale' and then 'furniture'.
Write a title for your ad. Mention what you are selling, any details (i.e. color or style) and anything that makes it unique and sellable (i.e. antique, great condition, etc.). Definitely mention if your item has a recognizable brand name like Thomasville or Pottery Barn. You want to call attention to your ad but be honest, and don't over-hype.
Enter the price and enter the location. Don't enter your exact address, just a city or area. You don't want people knocking on your door unannounced.
Enter your email address. Potential buyers won't see this information but Craiglist will use it if someone wants to contact you with a question or to make a purchase.
Choose the option that indicates whether you are an individual or a commercial seller.
Click on 'add/edit images' and upload up to four photos to your ad. This step is crucial! There are many furniture ads on Craigslist and those without pictures are at a severe disadvantage!
Click 'continue' to see a preview of what your ad will look like.
Craigslist will now send you an email where you can approve and post your ad. You will also use th link in this email to edit and/or remove your listing. (You can skip this step and have your ad published immediately by registering with Craigslist.)
Respond to any email inquiries that come your way. Often people will want to see furniture before committing to buy so you can expect those requests. (See warnings below for more on this.)
Once your item is sold, remove the listing. This helps keep Craigslist "cleaned up" and prevents you from receiving additional emails after your item is sold.
Tips & Warnings
- Set your Craigslist furniture ad apart by taking good pictures. Make sure to include several from different angles.
- Include as much detail in your ad as possible. This will reduce the number of emails you receive asking questions and also helps ensure that any potential buyers you have are seriously interested.
- Answer email inquiries one at a time. Answer those that appear to be serious buyers first.
- Decide ahead of time how firm you are on your price. You can take your lead from the number of email inquiries you receive.
- Never meet potential buyers alone. Always have someone with you.
- If possible, move the furniture to a garage or porch area of your home to eliminate having to let people into your house.