How to Stop Annoying Flash Movies from Playing in Internet Explorer
Flash movies run in Internet Explorer when you have Adobe Flash Player installed and its add-on enabled. This can cause disruptive movies to play in your web browser at inconvenient times. Disabling Flash in Internet Explorer's "Manage Add-ons" window will prevent all Flash videos, including YouTube videos, Flash video ads and other animations from playing in Internet Explorer. While you can only disable the Flash add-on in Internet Explorer 7 and 8, Internet Explorer 9 also has an ActiveX Filtering feature that lets you disable Flash movies only on selected websites, while creating an exception for other websites.
In Internet Explorer 7
Click "Tools" and "Manage Add-ons." Select "Enable or Disable Add-ons." Select "Toolbars and Extensions" under "Add-on Types."
Choose "Add-ons that run without requiring permission" from the list marked "Show."
Go down to select "Shockwave Flash Object." Select "Disable" and click "OK."
In Internet Explorer 8
Click "Tools" and "Manage Add-ons." Choose "Toolbars and Extensions" under "Add-on Types."
Select "Run without permission" under "Show." Scroll down to the section marked "Adobe Systems Incorporated."
Select "Shockwave Flash Object" and click "Disable." Click "Close."
In Internet Explorer 9
Click the "Tools" button and then click "Safety." Select "ActiveX Filtering."
Navigate to a website on which you would like Flash to run, such as a gaming website or a online email site.
Click the blue button on the right side of the Internet Explorer address bar. Click the "Turn off ActiveX Filtering" button. Repeat for each website on which you would like to enable Flash.
Tips & Warnings
- -- You can also use the same steps used for Internet Explorer 8 to disable Flash movies in Internet Explorer 9.
- -- You can re-enable Flash at any time by returning to the "Manage Add-ons" screen, selecting "Shockwave Flash Object" and clicking "Enable."
- -- These steps will work regardless of which operating system you are running.
- -- Flash movies will continue to work in other applications after you follow these instructions. To completely prevent Flash from operating, you must uninstall the program from your computer.
References & Resources
- Microsoft: Internet Explorer Add-ons: Frequently Asked Questions (Windows Vista)
- Microsoft: Internet Explorer Add-ons: Frequently Asked Questions (Windows 7)
- Microsoft: How to Use Tracking Protection and ActiveX Filtering in Internet Explorer 9
- Microsoft: How to Manage Add-ons in Internet Explorer 9
- Adobe: Uninstall Flash Player (Windows)
- Adobe: Adobe Flash Player - Downloads - Uninstallers