How to Watch Live Streaming on Roku
Just as cable surpassed network television, online content is emerging as the next generation in entertainment. The Roku player is a small digital device that enables you to watch streaming online content -- including movies, TV shows and live sporting events -- directly on your television. Roku offers a wide range of free content channels along with monthly subscription channels, on-demand options and even downloadable games. Completing a simple setup and following a few basic instructions will enable you to watch live streaming content via Roku in a matter of minutes.
Connect one end of an HDMI cable to the port on the back of your Roku player. Attach the other end of the HDMI cable to an available HDMI port on your television.
Connect the power adapter to the Roku. Plug the other end of the power adapter into an available wall outlet.
Turn on your television. Read the Roku welcome message. Choose the "Wireless" option for a wireless connection. Select your chosen network from the list of available networks, and enter your network password.
Follow the on-screen instructions to download the latest Roku software, to select your desired video output resolution and to link your Roku player to your online Roku account.
Press the "Home" button on the Roku remote to bring up the Roku home screen. Press the "Right" directional pad to pan to the Roku channel store. Select the content channel you would like to explore and press "OK." Select the streaming movie or TV show you would like to watch, and then press "OK."
Tips & Warnings
- Keep your Roku player within range of your wireless network.
- Placing your Roku player in an enclosed cabinet may interfere with the network signal. Also, placing something on top of the Roku player may cause it to overheat.
- If you would prefer to use a wired setup, connect the Roku player to your network router via an Ethernet cable and select "Wired" from the network options.
- Press the "Asterisk" button on the Roku remote to access options for customizing your Roku home screen. Customization enables you to remove channels entirely or to group your favorites for easy access.
- You may also use the Roku "Search" option to search for online streaming content by title, genre or even starring actors.