How to Import AOL Contacts to an iPhone
When you keep your contacts synced between devices, you always have access to important phone numbers, emails and addresses. Take advantage of the Add Account feature in your iPhone’s Settings app to import contacts from an AOL account. Enter your AOL account details and the iPhone automatically imports your AOL contacts into the native Contacts app in iOS 7.
Tap the “Settings” icon on the iPhone’s home screen to launch the Settings app.
Scroll down and tap “Mail, Contacts, Calendars” to load the configuration screen for all mail, contacts and calendars accounts. On this screen is a list of all the accounts currently set up for use on your iPhone.
Tap “Add account” and then tap “Other” on the list of account types. Although AOL is listed as one of the preconfigured account types, selecting this option only imports mail and notes. You must select “Other” to import contacts.
Tap “Add CardDAV Account” on the list of account types on the Other screen. The Add CardDAV Account option is located under the Contacts heading.
Input your server and account settings in the provided fields. Enter “carddav.aol.com” in the Server field. Enter your full AOL email address in the User Name field. Be sure to include the full address, including “@aol.com.” Enter your AOL password in the Password field. Enter an identifying name for this account in the Description field. You might, if you’re feeling wildly creative, call it “AOL Contacts.”
Tap “Next” to save the changes and import the contacts from your AOL account. At this point, your iPhone tests that it can send and receive from the AOL server using the login information you provided.
Tap “Keep on My iPhone” when prompted to choose what you want to do with existing contacts on your iPhone. Tap “Save” when you are finished.
Tips & Warnings
- If it has been a while since you accessed your AOL account and you've forgotten your password, you can reset it using AOL's online password reset tool (link in Resources).
- If you finish creating a CardDAV account and notice that your AOL contacts have yet to be imported into the Contacts app, this is likely due to the fetch settings on your iPhone. Fetch settings dictate how often your iPhone retrieves new data and email from accounts configured for use on the device. To address this problem, open “Mail, Contacts, Calendars” in the Settings app and tap “Fetch New Data.” Tap “Every 15 Minutes,” if it’s not already selected. Your AOL contacts should appear in the iPhone’s Contacts app within 15 minutes.
- After your contacts have been imported, return the Fetch New Data value to its original setting. Increasing the length of time between fetch requests extends battery life because your iPhone less frequently expends energy sending and receiving data.
References & Resources
- AOL Help: How Do I Sync My AOL Contacts to My iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch?
- Apple: IPhone User Guide for iOS 7.1 Software
- NameCheap: CalDAV/CardDAV Configuration on iPhone (iOS 7) for Private Email
- Better Host Review: AOL Contacts to iPad iPhone
- AOL Help: I Forgot My Password. How Do I Reset it?
- AOL: Let's Reset Your Password