How to Replace Epson CX7450 Ink Cartridges
The Epson Stylus CX7450 is an all-in-one printer, scanner and copier that prints using four ink cartridges—one black cartridge and three colored cartridges (cyan, magenta and yellow). A flashing LED light to the left of an ink drop icon on the printer console indicates that the ink is running low. When the light stops flashing, you must replace the ink cartridge to continue printing as the other cartridges won’t work when one cartridge is spent. Replacing a spent ink cartridge with a new cartridge isn’t difficult and requires little beyond accessing the ink cartridge holder inside the printer underneath the scanner.
Lift the entire scanner unit on your Epson CX7450 by its sides, gently, until it rests at an angle in an open position.
Push the "Stop" button. The cartridge holder moves to the center, where the spent cartridge lines up with the empty droplet image featuring a diagonal line through it, on the printer housing. Push the “Stop” button again. Each spent cartridge will line up with the droplet image. If the remaining cartridges contain sufficient amounts of ink the holder moves to the right side of the printer.
Grip the cartridge cover and pull it gently toward you to reveal the ink cartridges.
Unlock a cartridge from the holder by pressing its grooved tab. Grip the cartridge between your fingers and pull it straight up and out of your printer.
Pull the yellow tape from the bottom of the replacement cartridge and insert it into the cartridge holder—pressing down on the cartridge to make certain that the electrical contacts meet.
Replace other cartridges one by one as needed.
Flip the cartridge lid over the cartridges and press down to secure it in place.
Return the scanner carefully to its original position, press the "Stop" button and wait for the power "On" light to stop flashing (approximately two minutes). When it stops, begin printing.
Tips & Warnings
- If the LED light beside the ink drop icon on your printer console doesn’t stop flashing after you’ve replaced the cartridges, press “Stop,” then access the cartridge holder again. Push down on each cartridge to establish a solid connection between the electrical contacts, then close the cover and scanner and press “Stop” again. If the light continues to flash after two minutes, call Epson for assistance.
- If you need to replace a cartridge before the LED stops flashing because of poor print quality, access the printer settings on your PC or the Epson Printer Utility 2 on your Mac. Choose the “Maintenance” tab (Windows) or “CX7400 Series” and “OK” (Mac) to reveal the “Ink Cartridge Replacement” option. Select this option, press “OK” if using Windows, then follow the instructions that appear on your screen.
- Always leave your new ink cartridge in its sealed package until you have shaken the cartridge. Removing it first can result in leaks.
- Never touch the green chip on a cartridge. Oils from your skin can interfere with the electrical contacts causing the printer to malfunction.
- Turning off your printer while replacing a cartridge can cause ink loss.