Canon PowerShot cameras are compact point-and-shot cameras that offer dozens of controls, modes, filters and effects you can apply. If you overexperiment with the settings, need to troubleshoot a problem with the camera or are preparing to sell the PowerShot, reset the camera to its default factory settings. Look for the Tools icon in the menu to reset the camera.
Turn on your PowerShot and press the "Menu" button to open the menu in the viewfinder window.
Video of the Day
Press the directional arrows on the Func.Set button to select the "Tools" tab, which is represented by a wrench and hammer icon. The Tools menu appears in the viewfinder window.
Scroll to "Reset All" using the directional arrows on the Func.Set button.
Press the "Func.Set" button to select Reset All. A "Reset Settings to Default?" message appears. Highlight "OK" using the directional buttons and then press "Func.Set" to select it and restore your camera's factory settings.
Resetting your PowerShot to factory defaults fixes common problems, such as missing audio on video recordings.
You cannot reset the camera if it is connected to a computer or printer.
Certain settings cannot be reset, such as setup menu options including date and time, language and video system.
- Canon Support: Procedure for Resetting the Camera to Its Default Settings PowerShot TX1
- Canon Support: Procedure for Resetting the Camera to Its Default Settings PowerShot SX10 IS
- Canon Support: Procedure for Resetting the Camera to Its Default Settings PowerShot SX20 IS
- Canon Support: Using the FUNC. Menu PowerShot SX400 IS
- Canon Support: Using the FUNC. Menu PowerShot SX170 IS