How to Connect TI 84 Plus to Computer
Your standalone Texas Instruments "TI-84 Plus" calculator is useful and valuable right out of the package. Connect your calculator to a computer, however, and its worth increases. You can transfer your calculator display to show on a computer screen and use those images to make a math presentation. You can also pull your data calculations from the TI-84 and save them to the hard drive. In the other direction, you can add extra applications and games to the TI-84 Plus. This software creates abundant functionality for the calculator, but the steps for making the connection are minimal.
Things You'll Need
- TI connectivity cable: USB computer cable, USB Silver Edition cable or serial cable
Navigate to TI's "Download Central--TI Connect Software for Windows" webpage and click the link to download the "TI Connect" software (see Resources). Be sure to save the file to a location on your hard drive that you can remember, such as the Windows desktop or "Documents" folder.
Find the TI Connect file that was downloaded in the previous step, then double click it to open a window. The file's name is "ticonnect_eng.exe."
Read and follow the instructions in the pop-up windows until the installation of the TI Connect software is complete.
Plug your connectivity cable (USB or serial) into the TI-84 calculator and the computer.
Double click on the "TI Connect" icon, found in the Windows "All Programs" list or on the desktop, to launch the application.
Click on the icon labeled "Device Explorer," which is on the page labeled "TI Connect" in the application.
Wait while the TI Connect application searches for the TI-84 calculator.
Click on "Select" after the calculator is found. The "Device Explorer" window will show a list of "Programs," "Variables" and "Apps" on the TI-84 calculator which confirms it is properly connected to your computer.
Tips & Warnings
- TI recommends that you perform a Windows operating system update to ensure you have installed and updated the "Microsoft.NET Framework."
References & Resources
- Texas Instruments: TI Connect and App Instructions for Windows--Download, Install, and Test TI Connect
- Texas Instruments: TI Connect and App Instructions for Windows
- Texas Instruments: TI Connect Software--Features and Summary
- Texas Instruments: Download Central--TI Connect Software for Windows
- Texas Instruments: TI Connectivity Kit--Features Summary
- Texas Instruments: TI-84 Plus--Features and Summary