How to Print the Gridlines of an Excel Worksheet
Gridlines -- the lines that separate cells -- don't appear on printed worksheets or workbooks by default in Microsoft Excel 2013. To print the gridlines, change the Sheet options from the Page Layout tab. Define a print area if you need to print the gridlines of empty cells; Excel doesn't print them by default. Don't forget to see how the gridlines will print by previewing the document before sending it to the printer.
Open the workbook in Microsoft Excel and select the spreadsheets you want to print. **Select several spreadsheets** by holding "**Ctrl**" and **clicking each sheet**.
Select the "**Page Layout**" tab and then check the "**Print**" box in the Gridlines section of the Sheet Options group to print the gridlines. **The new setting is applied to all selected spreadsheets**.
**Set a print area if you need to print empty cells and their gridlines**. To set a print area, select the cells you wish to print, click "**Print Area**" in the Page Setup group on the Page Layout tab and select "**Set Print Area**."
**Preview the document before printing it** by clicking "**File**" and selecting the "**Print**" tab. The preview is displayed in the right pane.
**[Format the cell borders](http://www.ehow.com/how_2053327_add-borders-cells-microsoft-excel.html)** if the default gridlines are not what you're looking for. **You can change both the style and the color of cell borders**.
Tips & Warnings
- To avoid printing empty cells, clear the print area. Click the "Print Area" button in the Page Setup group and select "Clear Print Area."
- Add more cells to the print area by selecting them, clicking the "Print Area" button and then selecting "Add to Print Area."
- To print row and column headers, check the "Print" box in the Headings section of the Sheet Options group on the Page Layout tab.
- Before clicking the "Print" button, select the correct printer from the "Printer" menu. You can change the printing settings -- number of pages to print, orientation, paper size, margins and scaling -- from the Settings section.
- To change the printer properties, click the "Printer Properties" link below the Printer box in the Print window, after you select the correct printer.
- If gridlines are not printing, disable the "Draft Quality" option. Click the small arrow button in the lower-right corner of the Page Setup group on the Page Layout tab, select the "Sheet" tab and uncheck the "Draft quality" box.
- If gridlines are still not printing after you disable the "Draft Quality" option, there may be a problem with your printer drivers. Download and install the latest drivers from the manufacturer's website.