A warning for those of you who charge your phones underneath your pillow: stop. As convenient as it is to have your phone in close proximity overnight, it could actually be really dangerous.
Video of the Day
According to the Newtown, New Hampshire Fire Department, sleeping with your phone charging underneath your pillow, or on your bed in general, could start a fire. So, even though there may be benefits to sleeping with your phone in a place where you can feel it vibrate, it's not worth the risk.
The fire department shared images on its Facebook page of the aftermath from a fire caused by a phone that overheated while charging on a bed.
"Research has revealed that 53% of children/teens charge their phone or tablet either on their bed or under their pillow," the post reads. "This is can be extremely dangerous. The heat generated cannot dissipate and the charger will become hotter and hotter. The likely result is that the pillow/bed will catch fire."
The fire department recommends checking where each of your family members charge their phones. A bedside table is a good spot to charge a phone, or better yet, somewhere far enough away so it doesn't distract from sleep — but that's a whole other issue.