As smart as Siri is, Apple's digital assistant still struggles pronouncing certain names. It usually isn't her fault though — she says words how they're spelled. So, if your name is Sarah but you pronounce is Sah-rah, she's probably going to get it wrong. Even though you might be used to people mispronouncing your name, you don't have to live with Siri's error.
If you want to correct the way Siri says your name or someone else's in your contacts list, there's an easy way to do it.
Video of the Day
How to change Siri's pronunciations
- Go to your Contacts list.
- Tap on the person whose name you want to change.
- Scroll down and tap "add field."
- From there you can type in the phonetic first name, last name, etc. This is more for your own reference. For example, if you or your friend's name is Bjorn, you'd type Be-yorn.
- To help Siri, tap "pronunciation spelling" for the first or last name. Use the phonetic spelling.
You can also simply say, "Change how you pronounce [insert contact's name]." However you do it, changing the phonetic spelling for your contacts isn't exactly a fun time, but it'll at least help you not be annoyed at Siri every time she says a name wrong.