How to Add a Site Exception to Norton Internet Security
Norton Internet Security’s Smart Firewall and Norton Family features both have an option to add an exception when needed. The Norton Family website -- which you can access through the Norton Family section of the program -- helps you to manage your family’s safety on the Internet. Norton Family automatically prevents access to any website that belongs to a blocked category, such as “Violence.” However, you can allow access to a specific website even if it belongs to a blocked category by adding it to the Allowed list. In addition, you can also add an exception for an application that needs to access the Internet or a specific website to function -- such as VoIP application -- through the program’s Smart Firewall.
Things You'll Need
- Norton Family client
Adding a Program Exception to the Firewall
Open Norton Internet Security, then click the "Settings" tab to open the Settings window.
Click the "Network" tab, select “Smart Firewall," and then select "Program Rules."
Click the “Add” button, then navigate to the program that you want to add as an exception.
Select the program to open the Security Alert window. Click the "Options" drop-down box, select "Allow Always (Recommended)," and then click "OK."
Click the "Apply" button, then click "OK" to allow the exception through the firewall.
Add an Exception to Norton Family
Launch Norton Internet Security, then click the "Settings" tab.
Click the "General" tab, then select "Other Settings" in the window's left pane.
Click "Norton Family" to go to the Norton Family website. Click "Sign In," then enter your Norton account credentials.
Select the account that you want to edit, then select the "Web" option.
Click "Specific Websites to Allow," then enter the website's full URL in the Enter a Website field.
Click the "Add to List" button to add the website, then click the "Save" button.
Tips & Warnings
- You need to create a Norton account before you can use the Norton Family website (see link in Resources).
- You cannot record, manage or monitor your computer's Internet activity through Norton Family without first downloading the Norton Family client. Sign in to the Norton Family website, then click "Download Norton Family" to download and install the client.
- Information in this article applies to Norton Internet Security 2014. Instructions may vary slightly or significantly with other versions or products.
References & Resources
- Norton: Adding Traffic Rules and Program Rules
- Norton: Blocking or Allowing Access to Specific Websites Using Norton Family Website
- Norton: Registering for Norton Family
- Norton: Accessing Norton Family
- Norton: Installing Norton Family Client or App
- Norton: Norton Internet Security -- Download Free Trial
- Norton: Sign In To Norton Family
- Norton: Download and Install the Latest Version of Norton Family