How to Disable Microsoft OneNote
While Microsoft OneNote is a useful program for keeping your notes organized, it can increase your PC’s boot time and use valuable resources if it automatically starts when your PC boots. Preventing OneNote from automatically starting does not require you to remove the program from your computer. If you use Windows 8, you can prevent the program from starting by disabling it in the Startup section of the Task Manager. If your version of Windows is XP, Vista or Windows 7, you can find the option to disable OneNote in the System Configuration utility.
Windows 8.1 Task Manager
Right-click on the "Start" button, then select "Task Manager" from the Quick Access menu.
Click "More Details," then select the "Startup" tab.
Select "Microsoft OneNote," then click the "Disable" button.
Windows 7 and Vista System Configuration Utility
Click the "Start" button, then enter "msconfig" in the Search box.
Choose "msconfig.exe" from the Results list, then click the "Startup" tab.
Clear the check box next to "Microsoft OneNote," then click the "OK" button.
Click the "Restart" button to reboot your PC and apply the change.
Windows XP System Configuration Utility
Click the "Start" button, then select "Run."
Enter "msconfig" in the Open field, then click "OK."
Click the "Startup" tab, then de-select the "Microsoft OneNote" check box.
Click "OK," then click the "Restart" button to reboot your computer and save the change.
Tips & Warnings
- The AutoRuns for Windows program also provides a way for you to disable the Microsoft OneNote program. The program is available as a free download from the Microsoft website (see link in Resources). Launch the AutoRuns program, then clear the check box next to "Microsoft OneNote" to stop the program from running when your PC boots.
- Don't disable any other program in the Startup list unless you know its function.
References & Resources
- Microsoft Windows: Limit How Many Programs Run at Startup
- University of Wisconsin-Madison: Windows 8 - Using the Windows Task Manager
- University of Wisconsin-Madison: Windows - Disabling Startup Programs
- Microsoft Office: OneNote
- Microsoft: System Configuration Utility Overview
- OneNote: Download OneNote
- Microsoft: Download Autoruns for Windows