How to Fix a Cell Phone After a Drink Was Spilled on It

By J. Johnson

We use our cell phones every day for a variety of reasons. We use them to make calls, send text messages, search online, keep track of our daily tasks, and check the time. With all that use, it's no wonder your cell phone might eventually get damaged. One common way a cell phone can get damaged is if someone spills a drink on it. Once your cell phone gets wet, you'll need to act right away to fix it.

Things You'll Need

  • Cell phone
  • Water
  • Damp cloth

Step 1

Take out your cell phone's battery immediately after the drink is spilled.

Step 2

Rinse the cell phone battery with water if a corrosive drink was spilled on it, such as soda or alcohol.

Step 3

Wipe down your cell phone with a damp cloth. This should get off the residue from the spilled drink.

Step 4

Let your cell phone and the battery dry completely. This might take several days.

Step 5

Put the battery back in your cell phone once they're both completely dry. Plug your phone into the charger and turn it on. Hopefully, your cell phone will work.

Step 6

Buy a new battery if your cell phone doesn't turn back on. Most likely, the battery was damaged when you spilled the drink. A new battery should fix the problem.

Tips & Warnings

  • You can speed up the process of drying your cell phone and battery by placing them over a central air vent or lamp. If you have a flip phone, open it up, and lay it keys-down over the vent or lamp.