There are several ways to restore your Acer laptop to factory defaults, both inside of Windows and using the boot screen. At all times during this process, make sure your laptop's AC power adapter is connected and plugged into a wall socket and disconnect any other drives unless instructed otherwise.
Video of the Day
Acer Recovery Management
Acer Recovery Management is Acer's recovery utility. ARM features options for restoring your computer both with and without deleting personal data.
Press Windows-Q, type Recovery and then select Acer Recovery Management from the search results. If you're prompted to allow the program to continue, select Yes.
Restoring Without Deleting Personal Data
The Refresh option restores Windows without deleting your personal files or customized Windows settings.
- Select Customized Restore (Retain User Data), and then click Next.
- Select Refresh, and click Reset.
Restoring to Full Factory Defaults
The Restore option completely resets the computer to factory defaults, and deletes all personal data and settings.
- Select Restore Factory Settings, and click Next.
- Select Just remove my files to remove only your personal files, or Fully Clean Drive to completely remove and re-install all Windows files.
- Click Reset.
Recovery Drives and Discs
ARM can also be used to create a USB recovery drive. Before you begin, you need a 16GB or larger blank USB drive.
Creating a Recovery Drive
An ARM recovery drive is essentially a copy of your computer's recovery partition, saved to a USB hard drive.
- Connect the USB drive to the computer.
- Click Create Factory Default Backup.
- Fill the Copy the recovery partition from the PC to the recovery drive check box, and click Next.
- Select the USB drive from the list, click Next, and then Create.
Using the Recovery Drive
The recovery drive is used during your computer's boot-up sequence.
- Shut down your computer and connect the recovery drive.
- Start up your computer and press F2 as soon as the first logo appears on the screen.
- Select the Boot tab using the arrow keys.
- Select USB HDD using the arrow keys, and then press F6 to move it to the top of the list.
- Select the Exit tab with the arrow keys, then Exit Saving Changes and press Enter.
- Select your language when the computer restarts.
- Click Troubleshoot, followed by Reset your PC and Next.
- Click Windows 8 and select No, keep the existing partitions.
- Click Fully clean the drive followed by Reset. Wait for the computer to restart.
- Disconnect the drive once the recovery screen reappears, then click Continue.
The recovery partition is a section of your computer's hard drive containing re-installation data.
Using the Partition
- Restart your computer and press the left Alt and F10 keys when the logo appears. Acer Revo users with the dual mode touchpad/keyboardpress Alt-Fn-F10 instead.
- Press Enter at the Windows boot screen.
- Select Restore Operating System to Factory Defaults to delete all personal data or Restore Operating System and Retain User Data to preserve it.
- Click Next, followed by Next again and finally OK.
Recovery CDs and DVDs
- Restart the computer and press Del when the logo appears.
- Insert the CD into the optical drive.
- Select Advanced BIOS Features using the arrow keys and press Enter.
- Select 1st Boot Device then use the + key to set the optical drive as first boot device. For the dual mode touchpad/keyboard, use Shift-+ instead.
- Press F10 to save the settings to save and exit the BIOS, or Fn-F10 if using the dual mode touchpad/keyboard.
Recovering Other Models
- Restart the computer and press F12 when the logo appears.
- Select Optical Drive from the Boot menu.
- Insert the CD into your optical drive and press Enter.
- Follow all on-screen prompts to reset the computer.