How to Update a BlackBerry Web Browser
The BlackBerry Web browser is the default browser for all BlackBerry devices. It features tabbed browsing, the ability to pinch and zoom for touch-screen models and an option to automatically adjust the font size for text-heavy websites. The browser is included as a component of the core operating system. Therefore, browser updates are tied to operating system updates and not available as a separate download.
Over the Air Update
Click the "Options" icon on your BlackBerry's home screen. From the menu that appears, click "Advanced Options," "Wireless Update" and then "Next."
Click "Check for Updates" on the "Available Updates" screen. Highlight and click "Update to."
Click "Customize" to review the programs scheduled for backup. Click the check box to add and delete a program from the backup. Click "Save." Click "Next" to submit a request for the update.
Click "Start Download" on the "Ready to Download" screen to download the update.
Click "Update Now" and then click "Update Now" again from the pop-up dialogue box to verify the update. Click "Update Now" to apply the updated software immediately. The device will be unavailable for use during this process.
Click the "OK" button in the "Update Successful" dialogue box. Click "OK" in the "License Agreement" message.
Click "Close" to close the setup wizard. Click "OK" and place a check mark next to "Do not remind me again." Click "Exit."
Updates via Desktop Manager
Double-click the "Desktop Manager" icon to launch the program.
Connect the BlackBerry to a computer with a USB cable. The device will appear in the application window.
Click the "Update my device" button next to the device image. A pop-up window listing the version number of the update appears. Click the "Get update" button located at the bottom right of the window.
Click "Back up device data" in the "Update Options" window. Click "Install Update." A status window appears, allowing you to track the status of the device.
Click "Close" in the "Updating Device Software" once the process is complete.
Tips & Warnings
- Ensure the wireless signal in the area is strong. A weak signal can slow the download process.
- To delay the wireless installation of the update, click "Schedule Update" instead of "Update Now" and key in a specific date and time in the future to apply the update. The device will automatically install the update at the designated date and time.
- Downloading the update could take as long as 30 minutes, depending on the strength of the wireless signal.
- Installation could take over two hours depending on the components being updated.
- Check the device periodically to attend to any warning messages that may appear.