How to Import Bookmarks to Firefox
When switching to Firefox from Internet Explorer, Chrome or another Web browser, import your bookmarks from the Library window on Firefox 29 or above to bring your old favorites with you. Firefox's Import Wizard reads bookmarks directly from most popular browsers, as long as the other browsers are installed on the same computer. To import from browsers the Import Wizard can't detect, export an HTML bookmark file from the old browser and import the file into Firefox.
Click the Bookmarks button in Firefox and choose "Show All Bookmarks" or press "Ctrl-Shift-B" to open the Firefox bookmark list in the Library window.
Press "Import and Backup" and select "Import Data From Another Browser" to run the Import Wizard.
Select the Web browser with your bookmarks and click "Next." To merge bookmarks from several browsers, choose one browser to start with. Return to the Import Wizard after you finish the entire process to select another browser.
Check the box by each item to import. To only import bookmarks, leave every box blank except for "Bookmarks" -- "Favorites" when importing from Internet Explorer -- and press "Next."
Press "Finish" on the confirmation screen. To see the imported bookmarks, open the folder labeled "From" followed by the name of your previous Web browser, such as "From Internet Explorer." If you import from Chrome, look in the Bookmarks Toolbar section to find the "From Google Chrome" folder.
Tips & Warnings
- Firefox can also import bookmarks from an HTML file created by another browser. Instead of clicking "Import Data From Another Browser" in the "Import and Backup" menu, click "Import Bookmarks From HTML" and select the file. This method works well to move bookmarks between computers, as you can copy an HTML bookmarks file to a USB drive or online storage.
- After importing bookmarks, drag the bookmarks from the "From Internet Explorer" or similar folder to "Bookmarks Menu" on the left-hand list to integrate the bookmarks into Firefox's main bookmark list.
- You can safely delete the bookmarks in your old browser after importing bookmarks to Firefox.
- Before working with bookmarks, create a backup of your existing Firefox bookmarks by choosing "Backup" from the "Import and Backup" menu.
References & Resources
- Mozilla Support: Import Bookmarks and Personal Data From Another Browser
- Mozilla Support: Import Bookmarks From Google Chrome
- Mozilla Support: Import Bookmarks From a HTML File
- Mozilla Support: Import Bookmarks From Internet Explorer
- Google Chrome Help: Import or Export Bookmarks
- Opera Help: Import or Export Data
- Apple Support: Safari 7 (Mavericks): Import and Export Bookmarks