How to Send a Text to the Philippines
One of the most popular means of communication in the Philippines is text messaging. In 2000, the country was dubbed as the "Text Messaging Capital of the World" with Filipinos sending close to 300 million text messages via mobile phone networks every day. The Filipino's love for text messaging hasn't waned since, as recent statistics show that today's Filipino sends an average of 600 text messages per month. Now, with more and more Filipinos working and traveling abroad, sending Short Message Service (SMS) texts internationally has become a common trend.
Things You'll Need
- Cell phone with SMS capabilities
Sending Text Messages via a Mobile Phone
Type your text message on your phone.
Enter the number that you wish to send it to. Begin with +63 , the country code for the Philippines, and the cell phone number of the person you are sending the message to. For example, to send a text message to 9171234567 enter +639171234567 on your phone.
Tips & Warnings
- To type in "+" on your phone, on Motorola phones, just press the "0" for more than 2 seconds and the plus sign will appear. For Nokia phones, press the asterisk button twice quickly.
- The above steps will only work for a cell phone number in the Philippines. Philippine mobile phone numbers usually begin with a "9."
- Some sites also offer free text messaging services. Check out the "Resource" section for a list of sites.
- When sending texts to mobile phones in other countries, international text messaging rates will apply. Please check with your mobile phone provider to find out which rates apply to you.