How to Unban Oneself From a Chat Room
If you have been banned for no reason from a chat room and you cannot contact an administrator, there is a simple way to get past the ban and return to the chat room. Although the original ban itself might still be set, you will still be able to use the chat room.
Things You'll Need
- Your IP address at the time of the ban
- Dynamic IP address
Disconnect from the Internet. You may do this either from right-clicking on the Internet icon in the system tray, or if you have software to access the Internet with such as Netzero, close the toolbar. For broadband users, turn off your modem.
Select a different access number and reconnect to the Internet. Broadband users turn your modem back on and wait for the modem to connect.
Check and make sure your IP (Internet Protocol) address is different from the the one that was banned.
Reconnect to the chat room. You should be able to reconnect without a problem.
Tips & Warnings
- Some chat rooms only ban user names, which means that all you may have to do is reconnect under a different user name.
- If you were banned due to an error with a bot, try to send the bot a command to let you bypass the ban directly.
- If the above steps fail, you can surf to the chat room using a proxy server such as Anonymouse.
- If you are trying to get past a ban for something malicious you did with the intent to continue causing problems, what you are doing may constitute illegal harassment and result in your prosecution. At the very least, you'll again find yourself banned rather quickly.
- Administrators can also set up a ban on an entire ISP. While such an extreme move is rare, if this occurs, the only thing you can do is access the room from a different provider.