The download speed on your computer may differ from your upload speed as a result of several internal or external influences. The presence of spyware or a virus can slow your Internet download connection speed. The amount of memory your computer has or the hard disk space available also can affect download speed.
Testing Download Speed
You can measure your computer's download speed by using one of the Internet's speed test websites, such as CNET's free online bandwidth meter test. "Click Go, and a file is downloaded from our servers that will calculate your bandwidth speed from the CNET Internet Services site," according to the CNET website. The Internet transmission speed is measured in bits per second (bps), modem to modem.
Internal Computer Problems
If you have added virus protection software, browser or multimedia add-ons or search bars that appear on your toolbar, your computer connection as well as its download speed can be affected. One way to accelerate your computer's download speed is to disable the add-on during the Internet session and enable the add-ons when needed, according to Microsoft Windows website.
External Computer Problems
If your computer is infected with a virus, the computer's operation slows and your browser's access to Internet websites is poor and may lose connectivity. Installing antivirus software may solve that problem. Use caution in approaching unsafe Internet websites or opening unfamiliar emails. Busy websites may experience high Internet traffic, and local Internet congestion during peak activity can result in slower speeds for downloads than for uploads.
- PC World: Megabytes, Megabits, Megahertz and More:
- Broadband Genie: How fast is my broadband?:
- Microsoft Windows: Why is my Internet connection so slow?:
- CNET: Bandwidth Meter Online Speed Test:
- CNET: Bandwidth Meter:
- Broadband Info: The Difference Between Upload and Download Speed:
- Indiana University: What are bits, bytes, and other units of measure for digital information?:
- iBeast: Bandwidth Calculator:
- Convert Me: Online Data Transfer Rate :
- Speed IO: FAQ’s: