There are lots of reasons to mirror your iPhone to your TV. It's a great way to watch videos on a much larger scale, share photos with a group, listen to music through the speakers on your TV, give a presentation, etc.
Mirroring your phone to a TV makes the contents on your phone larger and visible to anyone in the room, so just make sure you don't have any top secret emails or texts popping up.
Video of the Day
There are several ways to mirror your iPhone to your Apple TV, check them out below.
How to Mirror Your iPhone to an Apple TV
- If they aren't already, connect your iPhone and Apple TV to the same Wi-Fi network. To do this, go to the home page on Apple TV and select Settings, then go to Network to find your Wi-Fi network.
- Open the Control Center on your iPhone, which is done on an iPhone X or later by swiping down from the top-right corner of the screen. If you're using an older phone, swipe up from the bottom of the screen.
- Tap Screen Mirroring, which looks like two rectangles overlapping.
- Select the Apple TV device you want to mirror using AirPlay.
- Enter the four-digit AirPlay passcode.
Your phone's screen will appear on your TV and the audio will play through the TV's speakers. If you want a full-screen experience, turn your phone sideways.
How to Mirror Your iPhone to a Smart TV
- Make sure your iPhone and TV are powered on and connected to the same Wi-Fi.
- Open the control center on your phone.
- Tap Screen Mirroring.
- Select the TV from the list that appears. If this is the first time connecting, a passcode might appear which you'll need to enter on your iPhone.
- Your phone will begin mirroring. To stop mirroring, repeat the steps.
How to Mirror Your iPhone Without a Smart Device
You can still mirror your iPhone to a TV without an Apple TV or a smart TV, but you'll need to get a cable that goes from your phone to the TV. You might need an adapter to connect the cable to your iPhone depending on the model of your phone. Newer TVs usually require an HDMI cable, while older TVs might use a VGA adapter. Once everything is plugged in, you might need to manually change the TV input if your device isn't automatically detected.