It's useful to protect a document if it's proprietary or if you don't want your baby brother to be able to read your short story on your computer. But it becomes problematic if you forget the password and can't access the document. Here's a few ways to un-password your document.
First Method -- Create a New Document
- Open the document that is protected, highlight all the text and copy it to the clipboard.
- Open a new Word document.
- Paste the material from the protected document into the new document.
- Save the document.
Video of the Day
Second Method -- Use a Hex Editor to Find and Remove the Password
- Open the protected document.
- Go to the Start button and select "Save As."
- Select Web page (either .html [web page] or htm [web page filtered]) in the Save as type area.
- In WordPad or NotePad, open the web-page document you "Saved as."