How to Make Your Number Private When Texting
Can you send a text message to someone without them ever finding out who sent it? Yes, you can send text messages from your cell phone and keep your number private if you follow a few simple steps. You may want to send an anonymous message as a secret admirer or play a harmless prank on a friend. If you send a text directly from your cell phone, they will know the source. Route your message through an anonymous text message service for privacy and for entertainment.
Things You'll Need
- Cell phone or computer with Internet access
Navigate to a free text to cell phone site on the Internet from a cell phone or computer. Free sites for sending anonymous text messages include AnonTxt.com, Textforfree.net and Txtemnow.com.
Enter the 10-digit cell phone number, including area code and 7-digit phone number, that will be receiving your anonymous text message. Do not enter "1" before the area code. Do not add spaces between the numbers and do not type dashes or periods.
Type your text message in the box provided on the website. Text messages are limited to a certain number of characters including spaces. The message will be limited to 140 to 160 characters.
Enter the verification code and click on "Send Message." Your text message will be sent to the recipient anonymously. You never enter your cell phone number and the recipient has no way to track the origin of the call. Some services will append the text message with "anontxt" or a similar notification so the recipient is aware that the message was sent from an anonymous online service.
Tips & Warnings
- Read the instructions thoroughly before clicking the "Send" link. Multiple texts to the same number in a short period of time may result in your IP address being flagged for sending spam.
- Do not use anonymous online text message services to stalk, harass, annoy or threaten another person.
- Do not use anonymous online text message services for illegal purposes like placing bets or sending threatening text messages.
- Do not use anonymous online text message services to send alarming or disturbing messages to another person.
- Never divulge personal information like your name, date of birth or Social Security Number when using an online text messaging service. If a service requests personal information, leave the site and do not use the service.