How to Get a Free Cell Phone w/ Free Coverage and Free Minutes

By Techwalla Contributor

SafeLink Wireless is a government program that offers a free cell phone, free cell service, and free minutes for people who are income qualified, and receive gov't services such as food stamps, public assistance, or HUD.

Things You'll Need

  • An address that the phone can be mailed to (not a post office box).
  • Proof of ID and of government assistance (FS, PA, HUD)

Step 1

Lifeline Assistance is part of a program that was created by the government to provide discounted or free telephone service to income-eligible consumers. To make this free service available to income eligible customers, SafeLink Wireless offers Lifeline Service. Through SafeLink's Lifeline Service you will receive FREE cellular service, a FREE cell phone, and FREE Minutes every month! SafeLink Wireless Service does not cost anything - there are no contracts, no recurring fees and no monthly charges.Any Minutes you do not use will roll-over. Features such as caller ID, call waiting and voicemail are all also included with your service. If you need additional Minutes, you can buy TracFone Airtime Cards at any TracFone retailer Walmart, Walgreens, Family Dollar, etc). SafeLink Airtime Cards will be available soon.You cannot participate in Lifeline through another long distance carrier if you want to participate in Lifeline through this program.

Step 2

Go to the SafeLink Wireless website that is listed below. Enter your zipcode, and click on "Go" to begin the process.

Step 3

On the second page, click on the tab that says "Apply".

Step 4

Fill out your contact information, your social security number, and give a street address instead of a post office box, and click on continue.

Step 5

Enter your identifying information, and click on submit. You will need to submit proof that you are receiving assistance from the government, such as Food Stamps, Public Assistance, or HUD. You will need to give your social security number. The site is secure, and this is verified by Equifax. Click on the padlock icon at the bottom of your screen for more security information if you are concerned about submitting your social security number online, or enroll by telephone, calling 1-800-977-3768.

Step 6

Make sure that you are not enrolled in Lifeline through another telephone provider.

Tips & Warnings

  • If you don't get Food Stamps, Public Assistance, or HUD, you can still get enrolled in the program by verifying that your total household income is at or below 135% of the poverty guidelines set by your State and/or the Federal Government.
  • If your zip code is outside the cell service coverage area (I believe they use the Tracfone map), you will not be able to enroll in the program.

References & Resources