How to Screen Print
There are times when copying or printing an entire page or document is not going to get the image you need. When you want to copy or print something that appears on your screen, use the screen print function to capture the image instead. Capturing the image is easy and by following these steps you can do that as well as understand where to paste it.
Things You'll Need
- Online version of the image to be copied
- Document or web page/email to paste the image to
Open the document that you want to screen print. For documents that do not fit into the window you are looking at, use the arrows at the side and bottom of your screen to move the desired image into view.
Size the screen of the document or page you are viewing by using the zoom function. You can either zoom to a smaller number in order to get the whole image into view, or you can get multiple screen prints of the image and bring them together in your new document.
Press the "Print Screen" button on your keyboard, which can sometimes be displayed differently but is always some sort of shortened version of those words, such as "PrtSc." It may also be necessary to first hit the "Function" or "Fn" key.
Copy the image using the "Copy" selection of the "Edit" menu or the keyboard shortcut of holding down the "Ctrl" and "C" keys.
Open the document you are pasting the image into. This can be anything on your computer such as an email, Word document or presentation.
Tips & Warnings
- A good way to manipulate the screen print image is to copy and paste it into the "Paint" software found on most computers under "Programs" and then "Accessories." Paint is a great tool for cropping, sizing and doing other edits to images. You can then copy the edited image from paint into your document.
- You can screen print from almost any image you can see on your screen, including online images.
- Don't worry if you are unable to fit everything you want to screen print into the view of your screen at once. You can copy various images and bring them together in a new document.
- Some documents and web pages protect the images so that they cannot be copied. In this case, there will be no "Copy" selection available in the "Edit" menu (it appears as gray instead of black).