How to Download Ringtones
The ability to download and personalize ringtones for your cellphone has revolutionized the mobile-phone industry. The days when everyone in a room jumped for his phone upon hearing a ring are gone. Today, you can choose from millions of different ringtones and customize your phone's ring to your mood, style and caller. There are several different ways you can download ringtones to your cellphone, but downloading from the Internet is the most popular.
Things You'll Need
- Cellphone capable of accepting custom ringtones
Download Ringtones From the Internet
Search for a website that offers ringtones. There are hundreds of different sites on the Internet that allow you to buy ringtones or download them for free. If you want a specific ringtone, you might have to pay a small fee.
Register with the site you choose. Most ringtone providers require you to join their sites and provide your carrier information and phone number before you can download ringtones. Some sites require a membership fee in addition to or in lieu of ringtone fees.
Browse through the selection of ringtones available. Typically, you can search for a specific song or sound, or you can use the categories to help you look.
Pay attention to the cost per ringtone, as some tones vary in price.
Select the ringtone you want, and have it sent to your cellphone via short-message-service (SMS) text messaging. This is the easiest and most popular way to download ringtones from the Internet.
Verify ringtone charges on your next cellphone bill. This is how most providers bill you for ringtones and subscription fees. Contact the ringtone provider and your cellphone provider to dispute unfair ringtone charges.
Tips & Warnings
- Some phones allow you to download ringtones using built-in features. Just press a few buttons, and search through a list of pre-made ringtones. This is a quick and easy way to download additional ringtones.
- Procedures for downloading ringtones vary for some phones and wireless-service providers. Check your user manual or contact your carrier if you have difficulties.
- Read the fine print carefully before signing up for any subscription-based ringtone service. Pay special attention to how to cancel the service if you no longer want a monthly fee to show up on your cellphone bill.
- Pay attention to email-authorization boxes when you register with a ringtone provider. If you don't want your mailbox filled with junk mail, check or uncheck the appropriate box.