How to Post Anonymously on Craigslist
Craigslist can be an excellent resource for finding things that you need in your life, ranging from household supplies to a date for your company's annual holiday party. However, there are risks associated with using any online classified ad system to meet people for business or pleasure. Craigslist takes this into consideration and allows you the option of posting anonymously to help limit these risks.
Things You'll Need
- Computer with Internet access
- Existing email account
Post Anonymously on Craigslist
Start your search for what you need on the Craigslist homepage (see Resources below). You will see that you can place an ad for everything from a new employee for your home business to a group of friends interested in knitting.
Determine where you are placing your post. Look at the options you have for cities and the choices available on Craigslist for posting categories.
Click on the 'Post to Classifieds' button. You'll find this button is available on the Craigslist main page for each city.
Select a category, sub-category and city neighborhood if you are prompted to do so.
Fill in the blank fields to create your posting. The form leaves space for a title, price, specific location and posting description.
Notice that you are asked to provide your email address at the end of the posting form. This is where you can make the choice to post anonymously on Craigslist.
See that you have three options for how the email address will be viewed by readers of the Craigslist site. One will be your actual email address that you have just provided to Craigslist in the creation of your post. One will be anonymous. One will be that no email address will be shown.
Pay close attention to the difference between the anonymous email choice and the choice to not include any email information. If you choose not to include any email information, then no one can contact you to respond to your ad. This choice is used when you have included alternate contact information in your ad (such as a company P.O. Box rather than an email address).
Choose 'Anonymize' to post anonymously on Craigslist. The Craigslist site will assign you an email address for readers to use. It will look something like 'email@example.com.' Emails sent to this address will be re-routed to the actual email address you provided to Craigslist. You will receive all of your messages but no one will know your real email address.
Tips & Warnings
- Posting anonymously on Craigslist is seen as the norm and therefore shouldn't affect the number of responses you receive to any ads that you place.
- Remember that when someone responds to you and the message is sent from Craigslist to your email address, any response that you send back from that email address will no longer be anonymous.
- If you are unfamiliar with posting on Craigslist, you should review the FAQ page on posting (see Resources below).
- Although you are given the option to not post anonymously, you should carefully consider the risks of this. Your email address can be spammed and you can even be tracked through it. Posting anonymously limits potential problems.