How to Print From an iPhone
Printing from your iPhone using iOS 8 is relatively easy, thanks to AirPrint. If your printer is AirPrint-ready, as most popular printers now are, you can print from apps on your iPhone, usually via the Share menu. If you have not updated to iOS 8.1, make sure to do so. AirPrint problems were reported when iPhone users updated to iOS 8.0, which were thereafter resolved with the 8.1 update. To find out if your printer is AirPrint ready, check for your model on [Apple's AirPrint page](http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201311). If your printer is not AirPrint-ready, check iTunes to see if your printer's manufacturer has an iTunes app. If not, download the [PrintCentral Pro app](https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/printcentral-pro/id426362921?mt=8) from iTunes. You will not be able to print from directly inside your apps, but you can use the PrintCentral Pro app to print documents from your iPhone.
Tap on the "Sharing" icon at the bottom of the screen on the page or in the document you want to print.
Select "Print" from the Sharing menu that pops up. You might need to swipe to the right in the menu to see the Print option.
Tap on "Select Printer" from the Printer Options page. You can also select the number of copies you want printed.
Select the make and model of your printer you want from the list of Wi-Fi printers available to your iPhone.
Tap "Print" on the Printer Options page. This will send the print job to your printer. A pop-up message will confirm that the job is being sent.
Tips & Warnings
- If a particular app does not have a print option, create a screenshot by simultaneously pressing the Home button and the Power button -- then print from your Photo Library where the print screen is automatically saved. Another workaround available for some apps, such as magazine apps, is to save the article to your Reading List and then print from the Reading List.
- If you have updated to iOS 8.1 or later but still have trouble printing through AirPrint, there are a few other fixes to try. First, power off your router, printer and iPhone -- in that exact order -- and then turn them back on in the same order. You can also try resetting your iPhone by pressing the Power and Home button simultaneously until the iPhone reboots. You could also try going into your iPhone's Settings, selecting the "Wi-Fi Settings," selecting your network and then tapping "Forget This Network." Afterwards, reconnect the iPhone to your Wi-Fi network.
References & Resources
- CNET: How to Print (Nearly) Anything in iOS 8
- IPhoneTopics.com: How to Fix AirPrint Not Working Issue After iOS 8 Update
- IPad Help: Print from iPad/iPhone Without AirPrint
- 9 to 5 Mac: IOS 8 How-to: Print Wirelessly From iOS Device
- TechRepublic.com: How to Print to a Non-AirPrint Printer With iOS
- Apple Support: About Airprint
- Apple iTunes: PrintCentral Pro