How to Sell Books on Craigslist
Craigslist is an online classified ad site which reaches people all across the world. If you have books to sell, you can access this population by posting on the site. This lets you get rid of your bulky book collection before a move or even start a small home-based book selling business.
Things You'll Need
- Computer with Internet access
Sell Books on Craigslist
Go to the Craigslist homepage to begin exploring the option of selling your books through this classifed site (see Resources below).
Consider the many different locations which host Craigslist pages. Craigslist has rules about over-posting, so you will only be able to post your ad in one locale at a time. You may want to sell books in your area only. Alternatively, if you have niche books, you may want to sell to a location that appeals to that market. For example, you might want to select an Italian city if you have books in that language.
Access the main page for the Craigslist city where you want to post by clicking on the appropriate links on the Craigslist homepage. Double-check that you are on the correct page.
Post an ad to sell your books on Craigslist in this location by clicking on the 'Post to Classifieds' link.
Click the 'For Sale/Wanted' option, and then select the 'Books and Magazines' sub-category. You may then be prompted to choose a specific area of the city in which you are posting, or you might be taken directly to the online posting form.
Fill out the online posting form. Create an enticing title and enter detailed information about your books. This may be a list of available books, a short post describing the type of book you're selling or a statement that you have many books for sale with information as to how to contact you to learn more.
Read through the self-publishing kit sent to your email address. Click 'Publish' link, review your book posting, and hit the 'Publish' button again. Your ad will appear online shortly.
Tips & Warnings
- If you are going to be posting on Craigslist frequently to sell books (which could be the case if you are trying to earn a bit of an income from a home-based business), you should consider opening a Craigslist account (see Resources below). This will help to keep your posts more organized.
- If you aren't interested in paying shipping fees for the books you sell, you should note this in your ad. Decide whether you are willing to ship if the buyer pays the fees or if you are only willing to sell to those in your area who are able to purchase your books in person.
- Review the Craigslist 'Help' pages if you need additional assistance (see Resources below).
- Protect your own privacy when you are using Craigslist. Take advantage of the option to remain anonymous on your post and avoid giving out personal information to those who respond to your ad. This common sense precaution can save you from online scams and harassment, which are occasional unfortunate byproducts of conducting business through sites like Craigslist.