How to Set Up Bluetooth on an iPhone
A short guide for novice iPhone users on how to set up Bluetooth and pair an iPhone with other Bluetooth devices.
The iPhone's Bluetooth feature enables you to wirelessly connect Bluetooth accessories to your iPhone. To pair your iPhone with a Bluetooth accessory, enable Bluetooth in your iPhone's Settings app, and then activate pairing mode on your Bluetooth accessory.
Enable Bluetooth on your iPhone
Open your iPhone's Settings app and then select Bluetooth.
Tap the Bluetooth toggle switch to enable it.
To preserve battery life, turn off your iPhone's Bluetooth feature when you're not using it.
Pair Your iPhone with a Bluetooth Accessory
Turn on your Bluetooth accessory and place it in pairing mode -- making your Bluetooth accessory discoverable to other Bluetooth devices.
Pairing mode is usually activated by holding down a button -- often marked with a Bluetooth symbol -- until alternating lights blink. If your Bluetooth accessory doesn't have a clearly labeled button, consult your Bluetooth accessory's owner's manual for pairing instructions.
Select the name matching your Bluetooth accessory. Available Bluetooth devices appear in the Devices section of your iPhone's Bluetooth settings.
You may be prompted to enter a pin number, pass code or key sequence. If your Bluetooth accessory requires a pin number or a pass code, enter it and then tap Pair. Otherwise, follow the prompt's instructions to complete the pairing process.
1234, 0000 and 1111 are pin numbers often used by Bluetooth accessories. If you don't know the pin number, refer to your Bluetooth accessory's owner's manual.
Troubleshoot Common Bluetooth Connection Problems
- Move your iPhone and Bluetooth accessory closer together.
- Turn off your iPhone's Bluetooth feature and then turn it back on.
- Reboot your iPhone and then enable the Bluetooth feature.
- Make sure your Bluetooth accessory is powered on and in pairing mode.
- To remove the Bluetooth accessory from your iPhone's list of remembered devices, tap the information icon -- a lowercase "i" in a circle located beside your accessory in the list of paired devices -- select Forget this Device, and then re-pair the device.
- Follow Apple's Guide to troubleshoot Bluetooth connection problems.