How to Add Video Clips to Microsoft PowerPoint
Integrated video clips can add a valuable element to any PowerPoint presentation. Add video files to capture your audience's attention and present information in various styles.
Things You'll Need
- Microsoft PowerPoint software
- Video files
Click on the slide into which you would like to insert the video file.
Click on "Insert" in the menu bar. Scroll over to "Insert Movies and Sounds."
Click on one of two options for inserting video files: "Movie from Clip Organizer" or "Movie from File."
Select "Movie from Clip Organizer" to browse video files stored on your computer. Select the desired file. When prompted, choose whether to have the video play automatically or when clicked.
Select "Movie from File" to insert a specific video file stored on your computer or network. Double-click, or highlight, and select "OK."
Drag the video image to your desired location and drag the sizing handles to resize the image.
Click on the video image to "test-drive" it. Impress your clients, teachers, coworkers and friends with your impressive PowerPoint skills!
Tips & Warnings
- Use video segments to propose product marketing strategies, supply brief documentaries and present tutorials and educational materials.
- Right-click the video image and select "Edit Movie Object" to adjust video volume or change video display features.
- Create a back-up copy of your presentation by transferring it to a portable device. Include all linked media files as well.
- Look into video editing software to create shorter video segments.
- Be aware of copyrights on the material you are using. Typically, 30 seconds is a safe cut-off.
- If presenting on a different computer, make sure the sound card, video card, video driver, memory and processor are adequate for your presentation.
- Most video clips are not stored directly in your PowerPoint presentation. Instead, they are just links to files stored elsewhere on your computer. If presenting on another computer, make sure necessary video files are available.