How to Bring Foobar Into the System Tray
Minimize the Foobar2000 media player to the system tray if you don't want to display its icon on the taskbar in Windows 8's Desktop view. Foobar doesn't minimize into the system tray by default when you click the "Minimize" button; you must enable this option from the Preferences window. You can control the playback of your media files directly from the system tray after you minimize the program and even access the Preferences window without maximizing the Foobar software.
Enable the Minimize to Notification Area Option
Launch the Foobar2000 program and then open the Preferences window by clicking "File" and then "Preferences." Alternatively, open the Preferences window using the "Ctrl-P" keyboard shortcut.
Double-click the "Display" node in the left pane to expand it and then select the "Default User Interface" item to display all settings related to the user interface.
Locate the "Minimize to notification area" option in the System Notification Area section and enable it. Ensure the "Always show notification area icon" option is also enabled -- otherwise you can't control the media player from the system tray.
Click the "Apply" button to apply the new settings and then click "OK" to close the Preferences window. You don't need to restart Foobar; the settings are applied immediately. To test them, click the "Minimize" button in the upper right corner of the Foobar2000 window; the program minimizes and its icon appears in the system tray.
Tips & Warnings
- If you want to display the track name and artist in a balloon in the lower right corner of the screen when the song changes, enable the "Show balloon tooltip on song change" option from the System Notification Area section of the Preferences window.
- You can change the icon that appears in the system tray by enabling the "Use a custom icon from file" option and then clicking the "..." button. Select an ICO file on your hard drive, and click "Open" to use it. You can download icon files from the Web for free (links in Resources).
- To control the playback of your media files using the system tray icon, right-click the icon and select one of the available options. You can play, stop or pause the track, as well as play the next or previous track. If you click "Random," you enable the Shuffling option -- tracks are played in random order. Click "Preferences" to open the Preferences window or click "Exit" to close the program.
- If you expand the "Default User Interface" node, you can change the colors and fonts of the program from the "Colors and Fonts" section. Furthermore, you can change the playlist view from the "Playlist View" section.
- If you can't see the Foobar icon, click the "Show hidden icons" icon in the system tray -- the white arrowhead icon -- to view all hidden icons.
- If the program doesn't minimize into the system tray after you enable the "Minimize to notification area" option, restart it. If nothing works, you may need to reinstall the software.
- Enable the "Always show notification area icon" option from the System Notification Area section of the Preferences window if you can't see the icon after you minimize Foobar.