How to Change Internet Explorer Security Settings
If you are having problems with cookies or pop-ups, or if you want to increase security on your Internet viewing, you need to know how to change your IE (Internet Explorer) security settings. Here's how to do it.
Things You'll Need
- Internet Explorer
- A computer with Internet access
Using Keyboard and Mouse
Open the IE window through the start menu, the quick start menu or by double clicking on the Internet Explorer icon.
Click on the "Tools" menu at the top of your screen or hold down ALT and hit T on your keyboard.
Select "Internet Options" by clicking on it or by pressing the up and down keys until it is highlighted, and hit ENTER.
Click on the tab at the top of the pop-up menu that says "security."
Move the slider at the bottom of the menu up for a more secure setting or down for a less secure setting. The setting that you are at is displayed just to the right of the slider.
Click the OK button to save your settings.
Using Keyboard Only
If you do not have a mouse, complete steps 1-3 from above.
Pressing SHIFT and TAB should highlight the tab at the top that reads "General." Press the right arrow key once to switch to the security tab.
Hit the tab key until the toggle is highlighted and use the up and down keys to switch your settings. The setting that you are at is displayed just to the right of the slider.
Hit the TAB key until "OK" is highlighted, then hit ENTER. Your security settings have been saved.
Tips & Warnings
- Be cautious! You can still be infected at high security settings.
- Always install virus software and firewalls as a backup to your security settings.
- If anything about a Web site does not seem professional or correct, do not give out secure information.
- Do not leave your IE security settings on "Low" unless you are A) absolutely sure of the site you are visiting, and B) fully protected by other security software.
- Do not change the custom settings unless you are following detailed instructions or know exactly what you are doing.