How to Find Addresses on Google Earth
Often confused with Google's online mapping application, Google Maps, Google Earth is a software package users install on their computers, run with a browser plugin or use through a mobile app. Available in free and paid premium versions, Google Earth includes extra features not found in Google Maps, such as historical aerial views, maps of Mars, the Moon, the sky and the oceans and a three-dimensional buildings layer. Functionality, however, is similar to Google Maps and you can find address on Google Earth, much as you would search for a location on Google Maps.
Launch Google Earth by clicking on the icon on your desktop, selecting the application from the Start menu in Windows or clicking on the application in the Finder on a Mac.
Type the address information in one of the recognized Google Earth formats (see Tips) into the search box in the application window.
Click on the "Search" button to the right of the search box. Google Earth finds the location and marks it in the main mapping window. In certain major urban areas, Google Earth may also provide pictures of the location.
Tips & Warnings
- Google Earth recognizes address and location information in the following six formats:
- 1) City, State (New York, New York)
- 2) City, Country (Buenos Aires, Argentina)
- 3) Number, Street, City, State (1457 5th Avenue, New York, New York)
- 4) ZIP Code or Postal Code (06520)
- 5) Latitude and Longitude in Decimal Format (67.9, -61.7)
- 6) Latitude and Longitude in DMS format (67 45'29.17"N, 142 09'04.17"W)
- Google Earth will not be able to find address information if it is not typed in one of the recognized formats. Search terms that do not meet these formats may also be treated as business listing searches and return general results for businesses that use a certain keyword from the search item.
- Click on the "Get Directions" link under the search box to input another address and get driving directions between the two addresses.
- In certain major cities, you can get a street view of the desired address by clicking and dragging the yellow Pegman icon that appears onto the street by the destination address.